Thursday, September 3, 2009

Jakes Weekly Update

Good morning everyone...it really looks dreary out today, but the weather man thinks we'll get some sunshine later today. Fingers crossed!

Wednesday was a long, long day driving around north Georgia. It was made even longer by the knowledge that all my new leads were dead-ends...and I still drove to Ellijay for pies, corn (Golden Sweet and Peaches & Cream) and tomatoes. I did decide once there to pick up a few Georgia pecans, peanuts, dried apples and apple bread fresh from the oven. The small amount will acclimate everyone to the idea that we are entering into our un-official last weekend of summer and Fall is just around the corner....apples, pumpkins, greens...

I did recover some confidence this morning at the Atlanta Farmers Market. Squash, watermelons, pears, figs, okra, Silver Queen corn, "mixed" beans, pickling cucumbers, shelled butter beans and Pink Lady peas and last but not least, South Carolina peaches were a few of my finds this morning.

Let me briefly explain the term "mixed" beans......the farmer planted his rows of white half runners, pole and snap beans together instead of different fields....his workers did not know the difference apparently and picked his beans as one type without separating them. This was the first...but, because of the error, we were able to get a good price on the bushel. I'll take a few minutes today when setting everything out and separate the beans and sell each at $1.00/LB.

We thought there was to be 2 more weeks of South Carolina Alberta peaches, but I was told today they had enough for about 3 more days this week....I picked up 3 bushels as usual, but am willing to pick up more if anyone is doing last minute jams and/or jellies. I am selling the peaches at $1.25/LB this week and will talk discount on quantity.

The last item on my list today is to let you know I have a small number of cabbages this week that will be sold at $1.00 each. This is my cost and I want to be prepared for the upcoming availability of Fall cabbages. Try creating a new spin on salad by using cabbage in lieu of lettuce. Add a few tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, carrots, bell peppers or anything in the fridge (or at Jakes), then toss with a little mayo, S&P.

Please enjoy a safe holiday weekend....and don't to stop by Jakes for your fresh vegetables this week.

Thanks,
Lisa @ Jakes
404-667-5121

No comments:

Post a Comment