Friday, September 11, 2009

The Seasonal Transition

The seasonal change from summer vegetables to fall vegetables is more dramatic than I anticipated. The only exception of the transition being swift is a 2 week period in September when almost nothing local is available for purchase.
We chose to to purchase produce from the extreme North Georgia counties and into the southern boundaries of Tennessee namely the Unicoi area. The hardest task of doing this is finding produce not refrigerated during transit. Believe or not, it was easier in the peak of summer to find produce straight out of the garden without refrigeration than it has been these last two weeks.

I am anticipating the our local fall crops to follow the path of summer. The travel distance from garden to Jake's varies between 2 miles to 50 miles, but almost all within the Georgia state boundaries. This allows up to pick up the product on Wednesday and sell for the week. I do sometimes choose to refrigerate items after it has reached the market in order to maintain its freshness.

Mentioning seasonal changes in the air.....I am finally changing out my vegetable plants at Jakes this week by adding Georgia Collards, Beets and Mixed Greens to replace my squash, peppers and cucumber plants. I am leaving the tomato plants a while longer as they are still bearing fruit and I am also looking forward to harvesting some good late season green tomatoes for pickling.

Check back for the photos of Jakes upcoming changing landscape.....

No comments:

Post a Comment