Thursday, September 17, 2009

Okra Okra Okra



Good morning friends and neighbors! It is dreary outside in Sutallee, but the rain is hopefully good for the freshly planted fall vegetable crops. We were able to plant our collards, cabbage, beets and mixed greens at the store this week....I decided to hang on to my tomato plants a little while longer while they are still producing. I just can't bear the thought of pulling up a plant that still has some good in it....don't we all?

On to the main reason for the update. Can I just say okra...okra...okra? We have lots of Mr. Howell's okra this week....and it is beautiful in color and size. Yum! You will want to put some of this in the freezer for later. We also have a small quantity of green tomatoes, just the right size for pickling. Refer to my next post for recipes on freezing or picking okra and green tomatoes.

Today the market was still in its transitional stage...a few things here and there, but mostly everyone has closed for the season. I did manage to find more of those late season tomatoes from Cleveland, as well as squash, half runners and shelled peas. I also found small quantities of corn, cabbage heads, cucumbers, radish bunches and muscadines. Fresh crops of new potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkins, gourds, wheat bales and corn stalks were the main items on display at the market today....(I did pick up a few of each.)

Before I forget to mention them....we also have more Ellijay apples this week. Winesap, Rome, Mutsu, Golden Delicious and Red Delicious varieties....

My baking is back for the second week...on the menu today and Friday will be Lemon Blossoms, paired with pecan and apple turnovers. Later in the weekend we'll add the smores bars and fudge. Stop by for a taste...

Have a good day everyone...and we look forward to seeing you this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment